Personal, Social and Emotional Development and Speaking and Listening
In September, our main focus is helping our children settle into their new classes, and getting to know them better, their strengths and talents and their next steps in learning.
We want all our children:
- to be happy and confident in school,
- to be able to play with other children, sharing resources and conversation,
- to join in with a wide variety of activities (including things they may never have done before)
- to follow classroom routines
- to understand how we expect everyone, including adults, to behave, in line with being a Rights Respecting School ,
- to ask for help when they need it
We want to establish these social skills and learning behaviour, because this will help all our children learn effectively in all areas of the curriculum.
If you would like more information, you may find these websites useful:
We use Development Matters in our planning and assessing, and there are useful ideas for what adults can do and provide to help children’s learning.
www.youngminds.org.uk has useful tips for building children’s confidence and supporting their resilience and emotional and mental health.
has more tips and ideas on helping your child through their first few weeks at school.
If you have any questions or concerns, please talk to any of the Reception staff. We will try and help or signpost you to other staff or organisations who may be able to help.